Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Instincts

Dear Daisy,
Let's talk about something funny.I feel like a lot of my letters have been about such sad things. Today I want to talk to you about when we found out you were going to be a girl. Well, your Mommy is a very maternal person. I'm a pediatric RN and have always loved children. My love for nurturing also got us 4 Chihuahuas. They are such a joy in our lives. I couldn't imagine life without Toby, Penelope, Macy, and Lily. You would have really loved them.

So that being said your Mommy thought she had excellent maternal instincts. As soon as she found out she was pregnant with you she just knew that you were a boy. Your Daddy and I would have conversations about the future and Mommy would always say "Our son." hehe. All this talk got your Daddy amped up that he would have someone to teach how to hunt, fish, throw a ball (and be a pitcher just like him someday), to pick up girls,  fix a car, and do all other sorts of manly things. Mommy was definitely excited too, she was going to have a Momma's boy no doubt. How funny is all of this now to think about.

Your Mommy is a very type A person. She had to know as soon as possible to get the nursery underway. However, she just knew that you were going to be a boy. Funny how your Mommy had no maternal instinct what-so-ever. Except for when the bad thing happened and I just knew you were gone. But let's not talk about that just yet. Well Mommy made an appointment to do an elective ultrasound exactly at 16 weeks. Daddy took off work and we went to the hospital together. The ultrasound tech took us back and asked us questions about you. "How many weeks are you?" "Is this your first?" "What are your guesses?" Well we told her we just knew you were a boy. Your beautiful face came up on the screen and you looked just like Mommy. Your face, nose, mouth, and chin looked just like your Momma. We know now that you are the spitting image of Daddy though. So then Mommy saw it... you were not a boy but very much a girl. Mommy turned to the tech and said "It's a girl?", your Mommy was very confused. The tech said "Yes! Congrats it's a girl!!". That's when Mommy turned to Daddy. His face was frozen in the most confused smile ever. It looked like something off of a movie. Mommy's mind started to race... A girl... I never thought I would have a daughter. I just didn't know what to do with myself. Mommy started to laugh. How funny was it that I was calling you Hunter for 16 weeks!

Mommy decided that after the doctors appointment we needed to buy lots and LOTS of pink things. I was so excited to have a daughter. There was no disappointment finding out you were a girl. I never want you to think that I wanted you to be something you were not. Mommy and Daddy were just very much surprised because we thought you were a boy all along! I love you no matter what. Our love is unconditional. Your Grandmother told Mommy a long long time ago that her Grandfather (your great great Grandfather) told her that "A Daughter, she will be your best friend". Mommy wanted that for us. I wanted you to be my best friend. I couldn't wait to do all sorts of things with you. Girly things like getting pedicures, going prom dress shopping, getting our hair done, going shopping for ANYTHING. I was so ready for all of that. I miss you my pretty daughter. I miss you so much. Watch over Mommy and Daddy.

Until I write you again, I love you with very bit of me,
Your Mommy
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment