Wednesday, December 12, 2012

What's in a name?

Dear Daisy,
I thought I would write to you and explain how you got your name. It's really quite special actually. So your Mommy has always loved daisies. They have been my favorite flower for as long as I can remember. I inherited this love for the flower from your great Grandmother (Nanny). Ever since I was little I planned on naming my daughter Daisy.. I saved the name for 26 years.

When your Mommy and Daddy first met during one of our conversations this fact came up. However, nobody had ever given your Mommy daisies... ever.. always roses. Well shortly after learning of this your Daddy had daisies sent to the hospital with a card that said "I love you". That was the first time your Daddy ever told Mommy he loved her. 

But your name ALMOST wasn't Daisy. Let me tell you why. Your Father's initials are HDH and Mommy thought it would be precious if yours were too. If you were a boy we would have named you Hunter David. Hunter because your Daddy is a hunter and David after your Daddy. If you turned out to be a girl your Mommy wanted to name you Harper Daisy. Harper after Harper Lee (author of Mommy's favorite book). Your Daddy HATED the name Harper. Really and truly despised it. So we devised a plan... If Mommy could deliver you naturally (without any pain meds) your name would be Harper Daisy. If not you would have a name we both chose. One of those names was Daisy Marie. Your name. Marie is after your Great Grandmother Walters and Aunt Morgan. Your Mommy just knew she could have you without any medicine, so after we found out you were a girl I secretly called you Harper all the time. I KNEW it was going to be your name.

Things didn't go as planned though. Your Daddy said I could name you whatever I wanted after it happened. However, I just knew your name was Daisy Marie the second I saw you. And there is another special reason why I chose to do this. Someday I pray I can give you a Sister. Her name will be Harper Daisy... after her big Sister.

I didn't get your pictures today. But that's ok... I would wait the rest of my life just to see your beautiful face again. Everyone else on the other hand is very anxious to see you. Your Aunts Morgan and Britt never got to see you in the hospital. They really would like to see what you looked like. You look just like their brother. Guess what did come in the mail today? Your first Christmas ornament. I saved it for when Daddy comes home. I want to put it on our tree together. I hope you like it. I miss you my sweet baby. I think about you all day long. Watch over Mommy and Daddy.

I love you so much,
Your Mommy
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment